how to not be deported

In 2016, the United States’ Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) removed around 200,000 aliens. Removal, which is the compulsory and confirmed movement of deportable aliens out of the United States based on an order, is one of the biggest problems other nationalities living in America face.

It is not easy to receive an order of deportation or removal especially if you have already settled down and spent several years of your life in the United States. That said, many people turn to whatever advice they may when it comes to immigration issues.

Discussions on how to protect yourself from removal and deportation becomes essential in the picture so as for you to ready yourself with the circumstances in the future and this is exactly what we will be talking about here in Michigan Fe.  Know that it’s very possible for foreigners to be deported from the United States even merely on grounds of violating state ordinances, committing a minor misconduct, or even for traffic violations.

Protection from Deportation

Those listed as ways of protection from deportation are not 100% guaranteed since this is a case to case basis.

  • Obtain citizenship.

One of the strongest protection against an order for removal or deportation is citizenship. The United States cannot compel a foreign national to return to his/her country if the said foreigner is a citizen of the United States.

Thus, if you were born in the United States or in another country but one or both of your parents holds an American citizenship, you shall be considered as a citizen of the United States.

  • Seek for asylum.

Another defense against deportation touches on asylum. This defense can be invoked or is present when someone has suffered fears or harm in his/her country because of nationality, religion, race, political opinion, etc. However, you must apply for asylum within one year from your arrival in the United States except in extraordinary circumstances such as having a serious illness.

law on immigration

  • Apply for cancellation.

You can actually apply for cancellation of removal; this is what allows people to lawfully remain in the United States even if they are not holders of green cards. However, certain requirements must be met for those of you who would bring this action. Some of the requirements may include U.S. residency of 10 years, having good moral character, or being extremely extraordinary.

  • Apply for refugee waiver.

You could also apply for a refugee waiver together with the application of adjustment of status. Here, you must also state in your declaration the reasons why you fled your own country and the consequences which the reasons brought about for you in your country.

The Bottom Line

Finding a deportation order against you or your family members could be very alarming and it is something you cannot fight alone. Thus, when matters need to be brought to the courts, you should definitely avail yourself of a competent and expert legal counsel. You can check out the law office of Marilyn Orbach-Rosenberg who is a great immigration and deportation defense attorney.